Part 1. What are the uses of a roadworthy certificate in Brisbane?

Light Vehicles & Trailers

If you are in the Brisbane area or are planning to move to the Brisbane area and you have vehicles, trailers, caravans, motorbikes, trucks, boat trailers, heavy vehicles or heavy trailers, you will require a roadworthy certificate or (safety certificates) as they are now known.

Getting safety certificates for all vehicles that are being transferred into Queensland registration or are being sold or transferred within the Brisbane or Queensland area will require a Roadworthy Certificate.

For vehicles under 4.5 tonne which is largely cars, vans, light commercials, motorbikes and trailers between 750 kilograms and under 3.5 tonne. These vehicles will all require a Brisbane or Queensland roadworthy certificate in order to be registered.

Trailers under 750 kilos and with only one axle are only required to complete a self assessment in order to register or transfer the trailer’s registration and do not require a Queensland Roadworthy Certificate. The guidelines to complete this are list on the Queensland Transport website.

Cars, Vans and Light Commercials require an (LV) or Light Vehicle Roadworthy Inspection to be carried out by an approved AIS (Authorised Inspection Station). Almost all inspections that are completed today are electronic and emailed direct to Queensland Transport and once approved, they are emailed to you. At the top right-hand side of the electronic inspection form you will see an LV number which signifies that your vehicle has had a successful Brisbane Roadworthy completed.

If you are transferring registration from interstate you will need to physically go into a transport office with your number plates to complete the transfer and be given Queensland plates.

If you already have a Queensland registered vehicle and are simply selling or transferring the registration to another entity, you can do this online with the LV number at the top right of the inspection form.

Registering or transferring a caravan or LT (Light Trailer) also requires a Brisbane roadworthy certificate or Queensland Roadworthy certificate. However, there are potentially a few other steps required along the way.

Caravans that are unregistered or that are transferring from interstate will also require a HVRAS (Heavy Vehicle Registration Assessment Scheme) or vehicle measure up. This process can be completed by qualified inspectors from East Coast Mobile Safety Certificates or you can make an appointment with Queensland Transport and they will do the HVRAS for you.

At East Coast Mobile Safety Certificates, we have numerous highly qualified and experience inspectors who can do the Roadworthy Certificate and the HVRAS at the same time.

The classification of LT or Light Trailer not only covers caravans it also covers, camper trailers over 750 kilos and under 3.5 tonne. Also under the same category are car trailers, boat trailers, jet ski trailers, general purpose trailers and special purpose trailers like display trailers. All of these fall under the same inspection requirements as a caravan.

With caravans and camper trailers that have internal gas appliances, these require an addition inspection certificate for the gas. Gas inspections in Queensland require a licensed plumber to carry out the appropriate inspection under Queensland transport regulations.

Some helpful tips for people with Light Trailers that may require a Brisbane or Queensland Roadworthy Certificate.

  1. Trailers that are used infrequently still need to have checks completed regularly.
  • Bearings

As grease in the bearings and hubs get old and no longer protect the hub components from heat and ware. You often see trailers broken down on freeways at holiday times indicates they have not been maintained correctly. Most people think in terms of use when it comes to trailers. “I only used the trailer once this year to go to the tip” That might be the case, but the heat and rain deteriorates the bearing grease whilst the trailer is sitting in the back yard.

  • Tyres

Are another item that trailer owners neglect. Again, because they sit on a trailer that is not being used does not mean the tyres don’t deteriorate. Have a good look at your trailer tyres next time you walk past and see if there are cracks appearing in the side walls. Whilst you are looking at the sidewall, see if you can see a manufacture date stamped in the wall. Tyre companies don’t make reading these easy, but it is there on all tyres. If your tyre is 5-7 years old, it is time to shell out for some new ones. Don’t be the family on the side of the road with the trailer on its rim or worse, due to catastrophic tyre failure.

Lights & Indicators

You should check all lights and indicators regularly as the plastic housings surrounding lights, indicators and number plate lights get brittle and crack allowing water in and damage electrical connections. Lights and reflectors also get hit with trade tools etc and require to be checked and replaced.

Brisbane Roadworthy Certificates or Safety Certificates are designed to regulate a minimum safety standard across registered light vehicles and trailers. Unfortunately, these vehicles are only checked when re-registering or transferring them from interstate. From that time on it is up to the owner to ensure the vehicles are maintained and safe for use on Queensland roads.

    Request A Quote
    Book Now